One of the most surprising bits of news from last year was that IO Interactive was leaving Square Enix and taking the Hitman franchise with them. There was lots of talk about whether the series would carry on as a self-published title or what would happen. Well, we now know that the publisher to take up distribution duties for the franchise will be Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. Here’s what both parties had to say –
Hakan Abrak, CEO of IO Interactive
We’re super excited to be working with Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment on HITMAN™and together releasing the HITMAN™: Definitive Edition to new players. Working with a partner like WBIE means that the team at IOI can stay focused on what we’re good at, making games.
David Haddad, President of Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment
We’re very excited to be working with IO Interactive, a talented studio with a long-standing legacy creating the iconic Hitman games. The passionate, global Hitman community has embraced the recent return of the series, and we’re thrilled to bring the Hitman: Definitive Edition to fans and new players next month.
The first fruits of this collaboration have also been announced with the release of HITMAN: Definitive Edition scheduled for launch on 15th May. This version of the game is set to include –
- IO Interactive’s 20th Anniversary Outfit Bundle – Three new outfits inspired by Freedom Fighters, Kane & Lynch and Mini Ninjas
- HITMAN Season One (Main Game) – Seven exotic locations from the first season, including Paris, Sapienza, Marrakesh, Bangkok, Colorado and Hokkaido, along with the ICA Facility
- HITMAN Game of the Year Edition Content – Four missions from the Patient Zero Campaign, three themed Escalation Contracts that unlock three unique weapons, as well as the Clown Suit, Cowboy Suit and Raven Suit from the recent Game of the Year Edition digital release
- HITMAN Summer Bonus Episode – Featuring ICA bonus missions in Sapienza and Marrakesh
- HITMAN: Blood Money Requiem Pack – Including the Requiem Suit, Pale Duck Explosive and ICA Chrome Pistol
- All featured Contracts, Escalation Contracts, Challenge Packs and game updates from HITMAN Season One and the HITMAN Game of the Year Edition